My First Published Book – Prisoner of Fate Cheers!! Today is the first day of
Excessive abdominal Gas, So Gassy so Farty
Have you ever been so Gassy that your stomach starts making noise like a deflating balloon and before you know it you can’t hold it anymore and you just have to pass Gas (Fart)? I’m sure this is a Very relatable experience that most of us have had, but do we know how it comes about?
An average person on a healthy diet is required to Fart 10-20 times in a day cause every human being has Gas in their stomach and this gas contribute to three things.
1. Bloating is the buildup of gas in the stomach and intestines
- Belching is the passing out of gas from the stomach into the small intestine and subsequently passed as rectal gas (flatus)
- Flatulence refers to the passage of rectal gas
There are two major causes of Body gas
- Swallowing Air: Everyone swallows air when they eat or drink. But some people can swallow more than others, especially if they are sucking hard on candies or chewing gum, smoking and carbonated drinks. In addition, individuals who experience anxiety may swallow air when they are hyperventilating. This swallowed air is passed out from the body either as flatulence or by Belching.
- Undigested food: Gas builds up in the digestive tract when undigested food gets broken down by gut Bacteria. As the Bacteria feed on undigested food they breakdown the food and release vitamins to the body (Vitamin B & K), they also release gases like hydrogen, carbon dioxide (which are odorless), Sulphur gas, Methane thiol (which are foul smelling) .
It will surprise you that most of the meals we eat in a day our body does not have the enzymes to digest them that’s why whenever we eat them, we experience bloating and flatulence. One category is called FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-saccharides and polyols). Here are foods that can cause bloating, along with suggestions on what to eat instead.
- Beans: They contain sugars called alpha-galactosidase, which belong to a group of carbs called FODMAPs which escape digestion and are then fermented by gut bacteria in the colon. Soaking and sprouting the beans is a good way to reduce the FODMAPs in beans. Changing the soaking water several times can also help or we can Replace it with Meat or Quinoa.
- Wheat: Wheat contains a protein called gluten and it is also a major source of FODMAPs, which can cause digestive problems in many people. It can be replaced with Coconut flour.
- Onions: They are one of the main dietary sources of fructus. These are soluble fibers that can cause bloating. Cooking the onions may reduce these digestive effects. Try using fresh herbs or spices as an alternative to onions.
- Dairy products: 75% of the world’s population can’t break down lactose, the sugar found in milk. This condition is known as lactose intolerance giving rise to bloating and diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are also available. Other alternatives to regular milk include coconut, almond, soy or rice milk.
- Garlic: Like onions, garlic contains fructus, which are FODMAPs that can cause bloating However, cooking the garlic may reduce these effects. Try using other herbs and spices in your cooking, such as thyme, parsley, chives or basil.
Most of this food items we eat them almost every day and it doesn’t sound realistic for us to just stop eating them, if you are that person there are medications that can be used for relief.
Some options that may help include:
- Over the counter medication: Antacids i.e., Mist Mag etc.
- Simethicone strips
- Probiotics supplements
Please speak to a doctor if the symptoms get worse or do not go away after a few days.
Rarely, bloating could be a sign of something more serious. Do see a doctor for bloating associated with: Intense Abdominal pain, Fever, Vomiting >24hrs, Bloody stool, Surgery or Liver or Kidney Failure.
Thank you for Reading
Where did love go? – the thin line between love and hate To love is
Where did your confidence go? – Let’s find it I lost my confidence on the
The Vagaries of Sleep – tips to sleep like a baby “Sleep is vital to
Two years don waka – we still dey carry go “When you find your passion,
I am Still 29 – my mid-life befuddlement ” I am 29, with 12 years
Do we thrive on Schadenfreude? ” To feel envy is human, to savour schadenfreude is devilish”
Life is fickle – time is unforgiving “How strange life is, how fickle! How little
Bonnie and Clyde – what history holds Let’s enjoy a true life crime story WIP
Who needs Motivation? – a blast from the past I stumbled on a copy of
Corporate email etiquette – 20 rules you must know In the corporate world, email is
The day a meteor hit Russia Ever heard about the Chelyabinsk meteor? A few weeks
The Cluster Theory of Growth Cluster Theory Work In Progress Related Posts Share on facebook